Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Finding your Devotion

I don't know about you, but I am pretty good at sniffing out something I want. If it is a certain kind of food, I can find the source (whether restaurant or grocery store); if it is a certain outfit, I usually find it even if it takes tired feet on the pavement or tired fingers on the keyboard; if I am hooked on seeing a movie or a play, I can find my way to it. Regardless of what it is "out there" I am usually capable of sniffing it out, like a bloodhound! Once I am on the trail, WATCH OUT!

BUT...Finding my passion, my devotion has been more challenging. It has been a life long pursuit. It is not that it changed all that much. It was more, for me, trying to figure out what to do with my passions, with my devotion. I am coming to the awareness that perhaps they are not the same and yet they are interlinked and intertwined so intricately, it is hard to at first distinguish which one is which. I get asked all the time, "how do I find my passion?" or "how do I know what my purpose is?" I only know one way to find out what it is, how to find it, or to figure out what to do with it once you know. It is not hard, but it is not easy. It is simple, yet the most complex thing we do.

The only way I know to marry your passion, your purpose with your life is to find a path for your devotion. For me, it has been a life-long pursuit of figuring out my relationship with God. What that means to me is different than it is for you. How to incorporate that devotion into my everyday life is probably unique to me as it is to everyone. I don't believe it comes necessarily from a church, but certainly religion can help someone discover their devotion. In truth, I believe that making that connection to devotion comes when you are silent and you find time to be with the idea of the magnificence of God...or the Universe...or whatever you call that endless miracle of life.

I wish for everyone to find that devotion within, to make that connection that is neither self-indulgent or self-important. It is the "find" that humbles you for what you do not know, makes you kinder and more loving for the struggles of humankind, whispers the answers when they are most needed, and carries your individual soul-print. I wish that "find" for everyone on the planet.

No comments: