Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Voice of Coca Cola

In 1971, Coca Cola released a commercial that lit up the world. Part of the lyrics "I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony" (produced by Billy Davis and sung by the "New Seekers") was such a big hit that eventually coke waived royalties to the song and it became a No. 1 hit on charts around the world. The theme of the song (for those too young to remember) was one of multicultural unity with hundreds of children singing on a hilltop. It was a sign of hope for peace and respect for people of all ages, skin color, gender, religious orientation...it was a call for unity.

Today we live in a world that is unsettled but I feel is also in the middle of a new birth. I am old enough to remember the days of the Cold War and the Berlin Wall and what an amazing event it became when those walls crumbled and people were given their voice. We are watching that now, in the Middle East, as people are seeking the Divine human right to have a say over their lives. I think each of us, regardless of circumstance, always have a say over our own lives. It begins with our own story and how we interpret our own story. But more importantly, using the Coke song as inspiration, the human spirit is strong and resilient and longs to sing in harmony with everyone else. Even those who would limit the scope of human freedoms seek the same expression when they join cults, gangs, or terrorist groups. The trick with us humans is that the notes of my song are not imposed upon the notes of your song...and together the notes create harmony.

You listen when I share an idea with you and I listen as you share an idea with me and each idea takes us deeper and closer to the Truth of what all Saints and Masters have directed us toward. It is the inner light of Divinity that is ours to claim and when I claim that I can know that your inner light is also waiting a window to light the path for life as we all struggle through the dark forest together. The resilience of the human spirit is strong and viable. It calls to us, begs us, whispers to us, yells at us, to pay attention. If I can be all I am meant to be then I am far less concerned with making you who I think you should be. "I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony, I would like to hold it in my arms and keep it company." I don't think that this is an idealistic dream; it is the stuff that living peacefully is made of .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlR0KElxxVg

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Candie...I love the way you find the simple windows into the depths of human understanding. Let's have a Coke and you keep on singing, girl. What a voice!

CathiB said...

The newspapers give me a hundred reasons to cry, but with this perspective I have a thousand reasons to smile! And now I want a coke!