Tuesday, March 9, 2010

When the Voice Doesn't Fit the Want

Have you ever had a thought about something that you wanted, really really wanted, and when it showed up or exposed itself for what it is, it simply did not fit? It could be a relationship, it could be a car, it could be a refrigerator, it could be a book or a poem. I find that my heart gets invested in my vision and I have a driving need that my vision fit reality. The truth is, sometimes it does not.

Once the reality is faced, how often do we try and cut the puzzle piece to fit where we want rather than looking for the piece that fits? This point became apparent to me when our refrigerator died this week and the ice cream in the freezer became an ugly version of a milkshake! I hastily measured, we ordered the refrigerator I wanted. It was a refrigerator I had envisioned in our space. In fact, I wanted this fridge so badly that I choose not to be careful with the measurement. And guess what, the refrigerator we ordered was too big. How often I have done this for other things?

I have learned that it is good to have a vision, a picture in my mind, of what I want to have or experience,  whether it be a refrigerator or a person. But what I have struggled with all my life is the disappointed heart that greets me when things do not fit. I think of the times I needed, wanted someone to be the right relationship and it did not fit; or the outfit that looked so great on the hanger but hideous on me, or the car that I just had to have that turned into a lemon. Sometimes things simply do not fit. I have learned that often, it is God's grace that they do not. Someone once said if God was a truly vengeful God, He would grant us all our wishes. Thank God...this is not true!

No comments: